Sunday 25 March 2012

Brainwave in the wee hours... projection surface

BRAINWAVE IN THE WEE HOURS...

I couldn't sleep, tormented by thoughts of how on earth I would display my film in a way that felt right, was meaningful.  My worst nightmare is being trapped in one of those little corner spaces squeezed into the limited space we have in the college for our exhibition.  I know that space will be really limited and I need to be flexible about what space I use.  I also want the projection surface to be a part of the work - further fragmenting my image.

Here is my early hours scribbling...


What I will end up with is 8 boxes that can be configured in different ways, endlessly flexible and movable.  I have to decide on the material to be stretched on the boxes as a projection surface, I'm going to buy a range and experiment with different surfaces.  i might try and incorporate mirrors into the piece, further fragmenting the film and reflecting the viewer.

I also came up with the idea of hooking my old video camera up to an old portable TV, placing the TV behind one of the translucent screens and hiding the camera so that it is pointing at those viewing the work, placing the viewer in the work and alluding to the encroachment on our freedom in terms of Britain's prolific use of CCTV.

I worry that I may be getting far too complex and that the installation of this piece will require stripping back layers of complication to get to a visually clear piece that impacts the viewer.  This worry was confirmed when i started further obsessing about working a wedding dress into the piece as a projection surface!  I'm going to have a lot of ideas and material to play with when installing the final piece.

Ive put in my order for wood with the colleges technician and discussed with her how the boxes would be constructed.  I'd like to have the boxes constructed by the end of April.

No comments:

Post a Comment