Thursday 24 May 2012

Why a patchwork carpet??

I’ve been reading a lot about feminism and art and have been interested in how the feminist movement brought to light the unseen art of so many women, art that was classified as less than ‘real’ fine art and consigned to a dustbin marked ‘craft’.
Women’s artistic production has been historically undervalued and devalued, incredibly intricate work filled with symbolism and meaning would never reach ‘gallery’ status.  Quilting and needlework more generally was one of these areas consigned to ‘less than’ status.

I wanted to put something in the space that made it clear people were invited to bend down and enter the space under the stairs – I didn’t want to have to put a sign up asking people to come in (far too welcoming) or have to hang about my work all night asking people to go in!
It struck me that a carpet would be inviting, but I also wanted to follow through with the dis-jointed, broken up theme which has run throughout the piece.  That’s when I remembered what I’ve been reading about feminism, art, needlework, quilting and thought why not use that and make a patchwork carpet.  This would be sufficiently broken up and visually disturbing to fit with my theme, but also invite people into the space.
Sourcing the carpet was tricky given my health, I placed an advert on Freecycle and then trekked to the two people who got back to me – one was a real find, lots of purple and lilac carpet (I was worried all I’d get was beige), the other I’m not sure I’ll use as its nasty browns and has seen better days.  I also went to my local carpet shop and was offered a stack of carpet samples to take away; these were great colours and quality.

I wish my health was up to going to some more carpet shops so i could get a greater variety of colour and pattern, but I’m just keeping my head above water and lots of travelling around, walking and carrying heavy things just isn’t possible at the moment.

Here’s my Freecycle advert…




No comments:

Post a Comment