Monday 9 April 2012

The death of plan A, B & C...

My original plan for filming on the beach was to wear my 50's swing dress, that had to be scratched because Ive put on so much weight since starting taking steroids for my Sarcoid that it no longer fits.

Then I thought about an anonymous coverall, one of those papery things with hoods that they wear in forensic investigations - this also had to be scrapped because I couldn't find one big enough in time for being in Wales.

So I went with a white hoodie and mask - anonymous.

That would have been fine if when I got to wales I had of thought of the tides, our first trip to the beach you could barely see the sea.

Returning early next morning to Coney beach, Porthcawl, the conditions were perfect.  But as sods law ensures, I spent many minutes filming in and out of the water, freezing my feet off only to realise that though the super 8 camera sounded as though it was working, it in fact, wasn't moving the film at all.  After another period of time trying to fix said camera, we gave up and just took a couple of pictures and a very short film with my little digital compact camera (just to prove that I was there, did try and my tale of woe is true).

I also didn't get to make a test run of one of my projection boxes at my brother and his wife's workshop as they were too busy and I was too run down by all the back and forth to the beach (I also wasn't very well).

All in all, a very unproductive Easter break, though I did see the Jeremy Deller exhibition, wrote up some blog entries and did a projection materials test so it wasn't a total waste.

If I cant get the Super 8 camera working soon I'll have to scrap the Super 8 filming idea because I wont have time to send the film away for processing.  Looks like there will have to be many more plans before this piece comes together.

Here is the little video from the beach (its also on the video/performance page)

No comments:

Post a Comment