Monday 2 April 2012

Lips and facial hair...

I'm fascinated by the subject of hair and women, how it is deemed disgusting, dirty, ugly etc to have excessive hair anywhere but on your head.  At the same time, hair on our heads is seen as key to sexual attraction and success, woman spend millions every year on hair care and hair removal - whats it all about? where does it come from? Why the big deal?

Women who dare to bear their under arm hair are vilified and while some woman secretly salute those women's bravery, they would never be able to replicate it.  In the women's movement of the 60's/70's body hair became a prime battle ground with proud, strong women throwing away the razors and defying anyone to challenge them.

Personally my relationship to body hair is conflicted, at times I let the hair grow free at other times I religiously remove it.  Since having to take steroids for an immune system disorder my facial hair has gone wild, growing in all its luxurious curliness!  I find myself stroking my upper lip hair when deep in thought or pulling it when nervous.  I don't feel the need to please men but I'm aware that women are the harshest critics of women with body hair.  I've had no direct negative comments as of yet, about my facial growth, mostly people studiously ignore it - I don't know if I'm pleased or not, I almost want someone to comment negatively on it so that I can throw back a  stunning retort!

Hence my attempt to draw bold and confident attention to the issue, Ive done some test shots of me applying lipstick in an increasingly manic manner - extreme closeups that put my facial hair centre stage.  I'm not sure they will work on a larger projection and I'd need to film it more systematically with better lighting in a studio for maximum effect.  I like the contrast between the extreme femininity of bright red lipstick and the so called masculinity of my facial hair. 

Ive been pondering whether or not to shave my head and film it..... but that's for another time!

(if you cant see the video here, look at the video/performance page of my blog)


No comments:

Post a Comment