Tuesday 3 April 2012

The Wedding Dress...

As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, I bought a wedding dress. I think the thought must have been sparked by the numerous women I know who are getting hitched; somehow its entered my system, that childhood urge to posses THE dress. 

Let me be absolutely clear, I have no intention of getting married or entering into a 'civil partnership', I don't feel the need and never have done.  However THE DRESS is another question altogether, something that has haunted me on and off since childhood.  I never got to be a bridesmaid and this was something that made me very sad as a child, I loved the big pouffy white and pastel dresses that weddings forced people to wear - when on earth apart from a wedding would you wear such a thing.  Even now I watch programmes like 'dont tell the bride' and get all teary eyed when the woman tries on the dress. Ridiculous I know, it has to represent some deep seated conflict or programming (I was brought up catholic) or maybe even a sense of loss; I don't know and would probably need to enter therapy to find out!

A wedding dress symbolises so much and means so much to so many women and historically; from the symbolism of white representing purity and virginity (essential in a bride) to the loss of individual self hood (or I'm sure some would see it as a gaining of partnership).  Ive been fascinated by the 'big fat gypsy wedding' series, the enormous production and size of the dress bear a direct relationship to the fact that getting married is THE major life change for traveller women, most of whom do not study or work outside of the home.

For me, on the theme of this project, a wedding dress symbolises a loss of freedom - though I'm aware that others will not feel that way about a wedding dress.  This means its something I have to think further on as to whether I will use it or not.

The dress Ive bought (for the bargain price of £25) is not one I'll ever wear (I could probably fit one calf in to it).  I picked it because it was a simple tulle skirt that I thought would make an excellent projection screen.

Watch this space for projection experimentation on the dress.....

No comments:

Post a Comment